Friday, June 15, 2012

Early Father's Day Lunch / Celebration @ DISH KL

I can't get enough of DISH...

Chargrilled striploin


You know this statement is true by the frequency of my visits to DISH. Chef Steve Allen yet again amazes us with his lunch creations.

His menu changes regularly every 2 weeks. We love going there on a Friday when the lunch menu is brand spanking new. When we arrived last Friday, Chef Steve offered to do small tasting portions of his set lunch menu for us to try. That means we got to try 8 different dishes in one sitting :)

Instead of the usual eggplant fritters, we were served these fluffy yet crisp potato croquettes with turkey ham and cheese and a tomato salsa dip. Very nice.



We moved on to our soup course - a creamy and light celery, clam and cider soup with strips of Granny Smith apples and garlic foccacia. I was happy to see many clams in each bowl of soup. I like the 3D presentation of this dish too, very pretty!



The roasted quail was finger licking good. We got a breast and wing each, but the normal portion will be much bigger. It is served with a potato salad and mustard mayonnaise, which tasted really good.


What a happy colorful dish! The citrus cured salmon served with a strip of cucumber and marinated beetroot reminded me of a traffic light. Agree? ;) On top of the salmon is horseradish ice cream, something which is new to me but went extremely well with the rest of the dish. The key is to get a bit of everything and pop it into your mouth. This starter really grew on us, by the time we finished we were hankering for more.

Citrus cured salmon, horseradish ice cream, marinated beetroot


Fresh and light


After our meal, we joked with Chef Steve that he must have come across many traffic lights the past week as his mains of steamed fillet of sea bass also had the colours of a traffic light! Joking aside, we actually thought it looked very attractive. The moist sea bass was steamed with cili padi and lime, so there is a hint of spiciness (not too much, just a hint) and topped with fried onions. I like the tanginess of the lime in the sauce. The linguine gets it colour from coriander. All in all, a very tasty mains. 


Steamed fillet of sea bass with cili padi and lime, coriander linguine




I did not have the steak during my last visit, however as soon as I read the menu this week, I knew I had to try it! Steak, mushroom and mash sounds like a sure winner. When the dish arrived, the first thing I noticed was the scent of truffles. Turns out there is black truffle oil in the sauce. The steak was very good, a much thicker cut and it has the charred exterior / flavour that we like. We found out later that they had indeed gotten a brand new chargrill in the kitchen.

Chargrilled grass fed striploin, mushroom duxelle, spring onion and potato puree



Hubby loved the baked lamb loin and shoulder in puff pastry, served with Parmesan crusted pumpkin and pepper sauce. The lamb in puff pastry reminded us of beef Wellington. The combination of slightly peppery sauce, sweet pumpkin and tender lamb was excellent.  They really did a great job in keeping the lamb moist and pink.



Hubby couldn't stop singing praises for this 


Both desserts were very good. I asked Hubby on the way home which one he preferred, and he said "I can't really say as you finished almost all of the hazelnut parfait!". Oops, I must admit I got a little carried away when eating the hazelnut parfait, I loved the smooth texture and keeping spooning mouthfuls of this delightful dessert. The parfait was served with a hot chocolate sauce, but I felt it was already nice on its own.

Hazelnut parfait, caramelised banana, hot chocolate sauce

Nuts about you



The green guava crumble was served in a cute little frying pan. It has to be the best crumble I've eaten in KL, having eaten quite many not-so-nice ones in (fine dining) restaurants in KL. And the caramel ice cream is lovely... I wouldn't mind another scoop :)

Green guava crumble, caramel ice cream




And after all that food from the set lunch, we managed to find another extra compartment in our tummy for the Caramel Chocolate Delice with lime ice cream and raspberries (RM21). Heavenly.


The current set lunch menu is available until 21st June 2012. 






If you're still scratching your head as to where to bring your dad for Father's Day, this would be a good place! Portions are big and most importantly food is delicious.


To read my previous review on DISH, please click here, herehere and here. Full set of photos can be viewed on my Facebook page here.

Pork-free.

Opening times: Lunch 12.00 - 2.30pm, Dinner 6.00 - 11.00pm.

Service: Good.

Parking: RM5 flat rate.

Price: RM65++ for 2-courses, RM75++ for 3-courses. Set lunch changes every 2 weeks.

Location: Dish, Dua Residency, Lot 1.1, Ground Floor, Dua Annexe, No. 211 Jalan Tun Razak, 50450 Kuala Lumpur.

Tel: 03-2164 1286

GPS Coordinates: 3.156971, 101.720803

Website: http://dishfinedining.com/

*Please note that portions depicted in photos above are smaller as we opted for a tasting lunch. This meal is paid for by the reviewer. 

29 comments:

  1. Hahaha...a bashful Baby Sumo...I think not! :P

    Gonna choose the roasted quail as d starter :)

    Can't decide between d chargrilled grass fed striploin and d baked lamb loin and shoulder lar...both looks equally delish lar! =)

    Dessert is a no-brainer for me...d Green guava crumble :D

    Now to drag my fren there for her birthday!...hehe =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh eh! Whaddaya mean? I am a shy person leh. :P

      For me, I love the steak and Hubby loved the lamb.. whose choice do you trust?

      Delete
    2. I dun think so...hehe :P

      Eh...lagi can't decide lar...although maybe for uniqueness I go for d lamb...haha =)

      Delete
    3. My friend had the steak today, she say very nice wor :P

      Delete
    4. I take d lamb...convince my fren to take the steak n steal some from her...hehe :P

      Delete
  2. The steak and desserts look yummy! I think this is your favorite place in KL =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll have to agree with you on that! :)

      Delete
  3. horseradish icecream?? that's definitely new to me haha though everything looks great but at the same time feels so alien to me. never eaten food that has been presented in such ways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it goes well with the smoked salmon and beetroot. On its own, quite alike to wasabi.

      Delete
  4. Yummmm!!!! Food looks absolutely great. I'm also having mine early - today...as my daughter will be leaving tomorrow, holidays over. :( But mine's not as elaborate and nice, of course...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was a lovely meal, spending time with your loved one (daughter).

      Delete
  5. ooh, you know there's a phrase "as happy as a clam," right? so we could say you were as happy as a clam to see all those clams! :D
    it's rare to see a lunch set menu where i'd want to order everything! in this case, EVERYTHING here would make me, ermm, as happy as a clam =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean, you have to see the wagyu foie gras burger that I had today!
      http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=485508071465733&set=a.484061984943675.134305.252260334790509&type=1&theater

      I'm sure you would want one too, right? I was "happy as a clam" eating it.

      Delete
  6. I really cannot wait to come home already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Hehe you can bring your Hubby here for Father's Day, at the same time tumpang enjoy makan :)

      Delete
  8. Looks like a nice place to celebrate Father's Day! The food looks quite unique, would love to try the Green guava crumble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a special Father's Day menu of some of their a la carte / set lunch menu dishes.

      Delete
  9. the next time you go...buzz melah... meals look good without making a hole in the pocket:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went again today with my best friend :)

      Delete
  10. The steamed fillet of sea bass looks really good, I think I will order that in my next visit. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef Steve gonna add new stuff to his a la carte menu soon!

      Delete
  11. The striploin and desserts look gorgeous! Does the set lunch valid for weekends too?

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow the lamb in pastry is really creative :) must be a perfect combination there!

    Latest: Summer Splash from Paris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Baked lamb loin and shoulder in puff pastry, served with Parmesan crusted pumpkin and pepper sauce - looks amazing and cute pic of you peeping over the menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food here is always amazing. I really can't get enough!

      Delete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...